Fu Xing Dong Lai (蝠星東來) is a fantasy Taiwanese light novel series written by the author Lan Qi Zuo Ren (藍旗左衽), complete at a total of seven volumes (+1 extra/SP volume). The author’s other well-known series is Residence of Monsters (妖怪公館的新房客), which is being translated at RBKTR Translations.
The title 蝠星東來 (Fú Xīng Dōng Lái) is actually a pun. The MC’s name is 福星 (Fú Xīng) = “lucky star”. While the first half of the title and his name sound the same when spoken, if you look at the Chinese, the first character used is a different one, 蝠, which is from the word 蝙蝠 (biān fú) = “bat”. The MC is part bat spirit, so the title is a clever combination of his race and his name. The second half of the title, 東來 = “arrives from the east”, which is just referring to the fact that he is from Taiwan (East Asia). Since the pun isn’t exactly translatable, I left the title in Chinese. Incidentally, a variation of this pun is also used the title of V1C1, except it actually uses his name.
You will see “Shalom Academy” written on all the novel covers and character introductions – this is the name of the school that they attend. It’s basically an unofficial sub-title that is referenced on everything. In addition, the original character profiles did give “translated”/romanized names to all the main characters. For the most part, I’ve chosen to keep the same names in my translations, but there are a few that I have made minor changes to.
I hyperlink/footnote anything that is a reference, either to Chinese mythical folklore or to modern pop culture. The author also made up a few of her own terms to describe supernatural beings in this story, which I left in Chinese. However, they are defined in the story (V1C2) so the terms should be pretty clear.
Disclaimer: I do not own 蝠星東來, nor do I make profit off of it. All rights for this novel belong to the original author, 藍旗左衽. The only thing that I own are my translations. Please do not re-post this content anywhere, and if possible, support the author by buying her books!
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
V1: A Monster’s Instructions to Enter School
- Chapter 1: The western summit, Fu Xing arrives from the east
- Chapter 2: Similar types acting in collusion
- Chapter 3: The hazy twilight is suited for attacking roommates at night
- Chapter 4: Fear being peeked on while bathing in clear and bright moonlight
- Chapter 5: Inability isn’t an illness, treating it can be fatal
- Chapter 6: Innocent acts may be misconstrued, the shadow attacked upon first sight
- Chapter 7: To be environmentally friendly, save energy and reuse medical resources
- Chapter 8: Halloween trial, night parade of one hundred demons
- Chapter 9: Halloween trial, dance of a thousand demons
- Epilogue: Snow falls, packing up luggage to celebrate the new year
- Side Story: Pursuit-and-escape is a trick to play hard to get; when hits reach a high, various juices are spilled—Actually, it’s PE class
- Side Story: A great surprise attack during dinnertime—the daily lives of the main characters
V2: The Spectre’s Tutoring After Class
- Chapter 1: Summer break can’t be far if winter break has already passed
- Chapter 2: Inclined to enter a haunted house while clearly knowing the house has a ghost
- Chapter 3: My roommate cannot be this cute
- Chapter 4: The fierce soul is by your side
- Chapter 5: Fear is like urine in a swimming pool: it spreads quickly and, despite being invisible, makes one feel uneasy
- Chapter 6: Shopping is the best remedy for relieving stress
- Chapter 7: Possession is harder to cure than haemorrhoids, plus it’s contagious
- Chapter 8: Hysterical women are scarier than ghosts
- Chapter 9: The instant you see furrowed brows, you know that the case isn’t a simple one, though the motive behind it is very stupid
- Epilogue: Matters like summer homework are for after school starts
- Side Story: There is an adult secret hidden in the young and tender body of a minor (pt. 1)
V3: A Monster’s Chaotic School Ceremony
- Chapter 1: Once summer vacation ends, just start counting backwards to Lunar New Year
- Chapter 2: School ceremonies and students are all sacrificial offerings for teachers’ amusements
- Chapter 3: Your body, hair, and skin are all taken from your parents; you can’t change them
- Chapter 4: The secret garden inside the male dorms, the realm of demons in the female dorms
- Chapter 5: Even if it isn’t your own body, you have to wash it clean
- Chapter 6: Old enemies are like haemorrhoids; they flare up at the drop of the hat and make it hard to sit still
- Chapter 7: You need a good grasp on the proportion of tsun to dere to become a tsundere
- Chapter 8: School ceremony’s prelude: Hidden sentiments
- Chapter 9: School ceremony’s march: Resplendent flames
- Epilogue: Not the end! The school ceremony continues next chapter!
- Side Story: There is an adult secret hidden in the young and tender body of a minor (pt. 2)
V4: Commotion at Moonlit Student Gathering